Does the highway on your daily commute make the cut for the most treacherous of pavements in the U.S.? Check out the top 10 — and hang on tight to that steering wheel.
1. Dalton Highway, Alaska: This isolated 414-mile highway was built as a supply road to support the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System in 1974. There are just three towns on the way, with a total population of 60 people. Besides the arctic weather to contend with, the giant trucks that ply the route kick up huge clouds of dust, reducing visibility to zero, and the road is littered with enormous pot holes.
2. Colorado 550 from Ouray to Silverton: This two-lane highway, sometimes called the “Million Dollar Highway,” is mountainous and full of sharp s-curves. And if you’re traveling during the winter, beware of avalanches.
3. U.S. 19, Florida According to MSNBC this may be the most deadly road in the U.S. 100 pedestrians were killed crossing the road during one five-year stretch.
4. U.S. Highway 2, Montana is the biggest contributor to Montana having the highest highway fatality rate in the nation.
5. U.S. 129, North Carolina: AAA Carolinas called this road “the best chance of being killed” in 2008.
6. Interstate 15 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas: on this interstate more than 1000 people have been in killed in past 15 years.
7. I-26, South Carolina: on this road a total of 325 people died in 286 wrecks during the last decade, according to the state’s Department of Public Safety.
8. Interstate 95, Florida has one of the worst rates of deaths per mile in the country, according to the state’s Department of Transportation.
9. Los Angeles, California 101 to I-405 Interchange is one of the most heavily traveled and congested freeways in the U.S. In fact, the joke is that it’s called the 405 because traffic moves at “four or five” miles per hour.
10. Atlanta, Georgia I-285 at I-85 Interchange: a combination of multi-leveled highways and small feeder roads causes a large congestion of traffic at almost all times of day on this interchange. Because of all the bridges and suspended roads, this highway gets incredibly icy and dangerous during winter.